While everyone’s hunkering down and keeping their distance, you might wonder what residents at senior living communities are doing to stay safe and happy. Our Facebook page offers a glimpse at what residents and staff at The Heritage of Green Hills are doing. From delivering lunches to delivering cheers, we’re bringing a positive attitude each and every day. We’re also staying connected to family and friends via video conferencing and communing with nature on the extra benches we’ve added for residents (spaced at a safe distance).
Being part of a community where you feel safe and loved is high on everyone’s list of priorities. But as you continue to research your options for senior living communities, you’ll discover many reasons why older adults and their family members prefer life at a senior living community to living at home. In fact, many residents at The Heritage say they wish they’d moved here sooner. They’ve made loads of friends, their family doesn’t have to worry about them, and they’re having more fun than friends and neighbors who are still living at home.
Having more fun and fewer worries are just two benefits of senior living communities that can improve your quality of life. Here are more reasons why older adults are choosing to move to active senior living communities like The Heritage:
- Good food — With flexible meal plans and a choice of casual and fine dining venues, you don’t have to cook if you don’t want to. One look at our menu is usually all it takes for residents to put dinner plans on the back burner. The food is always good, the servers know what you like, and special diets are accommodated. Plus, you don’t have to worry about grocery shopping, meal preparation or washing dishes. Bon appétit.
- Scheduled transportation — Driving can be stressful as you age, especially if your vision or reactions aren’t as sharp as they used to be. Most senior living communities offer transportation to locations around town, including doctors’ offices and grocery stores. Transportation to scheduled events and outings, such as theaters, casinos, wineries and restaurants, is also usually provided.
At an amenity-rich community like The Heritage, there’s also no need to drive to the gym or beauty salon. A fully equipped fitness center, heated indoor pool, and salon/barbershop are just a short walk from your door.
- Maintenance-free lifestyle — Mowing the yard, raking leaves and shoveling snow get harder as you age. Even vacuuming can be a pain in the neck. Thankfully, you don’t have to worry about that in a senior living community. Our maintenance-free lifestyle gives you more freedom to do the things you enjoy. Leave repairs and maintenance to us. You’ll have better things to do with your time. Even if that means putting your feet up and relaxing in your independent living residence.
- Life-enriching opportunities — If you think senior living is just bingo and jigsaw puzzles, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Active senior living communities are lively places where people are intellectually and socially engaged. There are classes, clubs and events for almost any interest. This might include bridge clubs or writing classes, guest lectures or musical performances, even winemaking and belly dancing. One thing’s for sure: You‘ll never be bored.
- Feeling of security — When you live alone, fear of falling and not being able to reach anyone for help is worrying. Or you may feel vulnerable when a stranger knocks on your door. At a senior living community, you’ll have trained security staff on-site 24/7. An emergency response system in your residence adds another layer of security and safety. Plus, staff members will check on you regularly just to make sure everything’s OK. It all adds up to greater peace of mind.
- Access to on-site health care — Having a plan in place for potential health care needs can take a weight off your mind. The last thing anyone wants is having to make a move during a health crisis — with no guarantee that a place will be available at your preferred choice. Many independent living communities also offer higher levels of care, such as personal care and memory care.
To learn more about the benefits of senior living communities, contact us today. And for a virtual look around our community, including an apartment home, villa, the fitness center and a memory care suite, visit our gallery for virtual tours.